Pages

Sunday, 2 March 2014

Pink Pinwheel Quilt


I have a finished quilt!

I have loved making this quilt. It's been nice to try a more traditional style with proper blocks and sashing, which were both firsts for me, and the fact that it is pink and flowery just makes me happy! It has been so long since I finished a quilt that I had honestly forgotten how long it can take, and I was seriously flagging by the time I had got to the binding! But this one was bundled up and given to our friends and their beautiful baby girl on Sunday morning and all of the time spent felt like it had been worth it (plus I got loads of sleepy baby cuddles). Totally the motivation I needed to get finishing more WIPs.



I struggled for a while when deciding how to quilt it, I had originally started to quilt an outline for each block but it looked a little odd and harsh for such a sweet quilt so I went with a free motion doodle style quilting and think it looks cute and softens the solid lines a little.

Ahh, pink gingham binding and a hand-sewn label - love  ♥ ♥ 


I went with the contrasting sashing after remembering this quilt from Denyse Schmidt's book Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration for. It's a lovely book, I got it the Christmas before last after eyeing up the orange peel quilt online but fell in love with this hand tied one as soon as I opened it up and have been obsessed with it ever since.


Here it is finished; as usual I had left sewing on the label until the last minute and we ended up having to leave in a rush so I didn't get a great picture, and it was a truly miserable grey day outside, but I'll never learn.

The pinwheels are made from two 5" squares sewn around the four edges and sliced on the diagonal through the middle, then set in another square. The blocks ended up being 7.5 inches each so with sashing and borders it finished at about 44 x 54 inches; perfect for baby and toddler snuggling.


Now time for bed, I have another overdue baby quilt to work on in the morning - I hope you have a super week


2 comments:

  1. Laura I have only just found your blog - you make such lovely things. Thank you for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise, thank you so much for such a sweet comment :) My poor little blog has been quite neglected lately but hopefully soon I'll be posting more xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I'll respond as soon as I can